St. Stephen the Martyr Pastoral Council
May 23, 2017
The regularly scheduled meeting of the Pastoral Council of Saint Stephen the Martyr (“Council”) was held on May 23, 2017, at 7:00 PM, Central Daylight Time, in the Gonderinger Parish Center.
I. Call to Order
President Aaron Keller called the meeting to order. Greg Weiss, Secretary, recorded minutes of the meeting.
II. Roll Call
The following members of the Council were present:
- Deacon Marty Warwick
- Hope DeLuca
- Aaron Keller
- Deb Saraka-Rubin
- Steve Simonsen
- Greg Weiss
- Kathy Wiese
- Father Jim Tiegs
- Deacon Ernie Abbott
- Katie Corrigan
- Michael Macholan
- Corey Osborn
III. Opening Prayer
Kathy Wiese led the Council in a prayer to open the meeting.
IV. Approval of Minutes
Mr. Keller presented to the Council the minutes of the April 25, 2017 meeting of the Council, whereupon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted. The minutes were approved as presented.
V. Pastor’s Report
- Deacon Marty provided the Pastor’s report in Fr. Jim’s absence.
- Father Belt will be on pilgrimage shortly after he arrives at St. Stephen’s.
- The Archbishop will be asking Parishes to implement his strategies.
- All activities in the Parish will be asked “are you making disciples?”
- An example that was discussed was “Iron Sharpens Iron” due to its shrinking numbers over the years.
- A robust discussion ensued around the “Iron Sharpens Iron” program.
- Deacon Marty shared an example that was given to help illustrate how it could be determined if the activity helps others grow in spirituality.
- Wiese indicated that additional life is needed in the Parish.
- The example provided was that more vibrancy in decoration was needed both inside and outside the church.
- Wiese indicated that the battle we are fighting is our culture. A detailed discussion followed.
VI. New Business
A. Election of Vice President
- Keller entertained a motion for Vice President.
- Weiss was elected as Vice President.
B. Election of Secretary
- Keller entertained a motion for Secretary.
- DeLuca was elected as Secretary.
C. New Members
- Keller reported that Mike Maier and Nancy Williams have been appointed to the Council.
- Keller reported that there is still one vacancy that needs to be filled.
VII. Unfinished/Ongoing Business
A. Recap of Tim Francis / Fr. Declan / Adoration
- Weiss reported that the Tim Francis event had excellent attendance on 4/22 and even better attendance on 4/24. Mr. Weiss reported that the church was completely full on 4/24. 92 feedback forms were received from the event. 29 of those individuals expressed an interest in Eucharistic Adoration
- Weiss reported that Father Declan’s efforts were successful as 335 Eucharistic Adoration commitment cards were received from the weekend Masses. Mr. Weiss added that approximately 115 people attended Father Declan’s mission on May 1st and approximately 85 people attended Father Declan’s mission on May 2nd.
- Weiss indicated he and a few other individuals have started to make calls to follow-up with all those that expressed an interest in Eucharistic Adoration. The goal is to kick-off the revamped Adoration program on the Feast of Corpus Christi (June 18th).
- Weiss indicated that he and Mr. Osborn had also spoken to the Knights of Columbus to specifically ask for their help in manning the night hours.
- Weiss indicated that the goal is Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration.
VIII. For the Good of the Council
A. Last Meeting for Steve, Mike, Kathy
- Keller reported that the terms for Mr. Simonsen, Mrs. Wiese, and Mr. Macholan were coming to an end and that this was their last meeting. Mr. Keller thanked them for their service and encouraged them on their next challenge.
- Keller also reported that the new Council members would be starting with the June meeting. Mr. Keller indicated that he will meet with each individually prior to the June meeting of the Council.
B. Christ Renews His Parish
- Keller reported that “Welcome” is the new name for Christ Renews His Parish
- A brief discussion regarding preparations and a potential target for the first weekend event took place.
C. Welcome for Father Belt
- A welcome reception for Father Belt will likely be held in August when the Archbishop installs Father Belt.
IX. Topics for Future Discussion
- Keller indicated that the Council would be discussing the results of the Disciple Maker survey at the June meeting.
Being no other business, the Council closed the meeting with the Prayer for Vocations. The meeting was adjourned at 8:33 pm.